Monday, January 12, 2009

Seeing the Lord in Everything in Life - Good and Bad

Nina Dewees gave a really great talk last Sunday at the kick-off event for the Sunday Night Thing's series, “How the Lord Speaks With Us.”

One of the things she talked about was hearing the Lord speaking to her in all different aspects of life. She pointed out that at the beginning of Genesis the Lord breathed into man the breath of life and at the end of Revelation the Spirit and the Bride invite “him who thirsts” to take of the water of life” (Genesis 2:7; Revelation 22:17).

The thing she said that I find myself still thinking about a week later, is that the Lord speaks to us and is with us in the good and the hard things in life. He doesn't cause the hard things but He certainly uses them to make our lives better and happier in the end. I'm finding it really powerful to try to see the hard things in my life that way. Nina said that one of the places where she hears the Lord teaching this idea is in Psalm 139, particularly this part.
Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me. If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall on me,” Even the night shall be light about me; Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, But the night shines as the day; The darkness and the light are both alike to You. (7-12)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is anyone recording these at the Cathedral? It might be fun to listen to.

Malcolm said...

I'm afraid not. They would be fun to listen to but the services happen in places where there aren't mikes. You'll just have to try out the live experience some time. :)