Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Comparison of the Writings of Emanuel Swedenborg and Mormonism

I just ran across an extensive study of the similarities and differences between the teachings of the New Church and the teachings of the Church of Latter Day Saints, or Mormonism. I have not read much of it myself but, in a footnote, the author, Craig Miller, acknowledges the help of Kurt Simons, Victor Odhner, Carroll Odhner, and Rev. John Odhner, which hopefully speaks for the study's accuracy.

After a brief history of Swedenborg, Miller writes,
The similarities between LDS doctrine and Swedenborg's teachings are striking - and impossible for me to imagine as mere coincidences. Likewise, the differences are also just as outstanding and cause me to wonder how the similarities can coexist with such marked differences.

No comments: